Month: April 2022

Spring ’22 Graduate Student Awards

Summer Fellowship Awards Claire M. Berg Graduate Fellowship in Genetics Sophia Gosselin, Michelle Neitzey Arthur Chovnick Graduate Fellowship in Genetics Bryce Santinello Richard C. Crain, Jr. Memorial Fellowship JD Tamucci Cross-Disciplinary Fellowship in MCB and Pharmaceutical Sciences Katie Kyle Dr. Edward A. and Dr. Lamia H. Khairallah Graduate Fellowship Karishma Dhuri, Shipra Malik, SooWan Lee […]

Professor Kenneth Noll Retires after 32 Years at UConn

Kenneth Noll’s career at UConn began in 1990.  He received his doctoral degree working with Ralph Wolfe at the University of Illinois where he identified the elusive “component B” in methanogenesis as 7-mercaptoheptanoylthreonine phosphate.  Component B is essential to the last step in making biogenic methane.  Its characterization was a major advance in understanding the global […]

Spring ’22 Undergraduate Awards and Achievements

University Scholars Michelle Antony, Poorna Balakumar, Ashiti Damania, Rayna Esch, Paul Isaac, Alexandra Goldhamer, Sarah San Vicente, Joshua Yu Open to undergraduate students from all of the University’s schools and colleges, the University Scholar Program allows students to design and pursue an in-depth research or creative project and to craft a learning plan that supports […]

Professional Science Master’s (PSM) News

        ’21-’22 HIGHLIGHTS Internships During the 2021-2022 academic year, students completed internships at Center for DNA-Guided Medicine; Pediatric Hematology/Oncology, Yale School of Medicine; UConn Health; Shoreline Biome; and UConn School of Nursing Biobehavioral Laboratory. Recent Graduate Employment  Research Associate, Sensei Biotherapeutics; Quality Control Associate, Moderna; LabCorp Integrated Genetics; Yale School of Medicine; […]

MCB Faculty Awards, Promotions and Accolades

National Fellowships Incentive Awards The Office of National Scholarships and Fellowships (ONSF) has recognized professors Stacey Hanlon, Eric May and Carol Teschke (Fall ’21) and Kat Milligan-McClellan (Spring ’22) for their work mentoring students through the process of developing proposals and submitting applications for eligible awards. The National Fellowships Incentive Program (NFIP) works to build […]

Dr. Rachel O’Neill Selected for Board of Trustees Distinguished Professorship

Rachel O’Neill, professor in the Department of Molecular and Cell Biology and Department of Genetics and Genome Sciences is one of three UConn scholars honored this year with its most prestigious faculty title, the Board of Trustees Distinguished Professor O’Neill’s work centers on how genomes function and evolve. She uses cutting-edge genomic, computational and imaging […]

MCB Undergraduate Students Win SURF Awards

The UConn Office of Undergraduate Research recently announced the selection of 39 undergraduate students to receive 2022 Summer Undergraduate Research Fund (SURF) Awards in support of their summer undergraduate research projects. Of those who received awards, 10 were MCB majors and include: Katherine Bohner ’23 (Molecular and Cell Biology, CLAS) Project Title: Loading and Localization […]

The Human Genome Project Pieced Together 92% of the DNA – Scientists Have Finally Filled in the Remaining 8%

UConn Today, April 13, 2022 | Gabrielle Hartley, Ph.D. Candidate in Molecular and Cell Biology When the Human Genome Project announced that they had completed the first human genome in 2003, it was a momentous accomplishment – for the first time, the DNA blueprint of human life was unlocked. But it came with a catch – they weren’t actually […]