Research Assistant I Position
The Cole lab in the Molecular and Cell Biology (MCB) Department at the University of Connecticut, Storrs is seeking a temporary Research Technician to participate in a PITCH – funded research project to characterize and develop small molecule activators of PKR as antiviral agents. The hours are negotiable.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Prepare reagents and media.
- Culture and maintain mammalian cell lines.
- Perform basic molecular biology manipulations.
- Carry out protein analysis on cell lysates using the Protein Simple Jess instrument.
- Express and purify proteins.
- Keep accurate and up-to-date laboratory notebooks.
- Participate in the general upkeep of the lab.
- Order supplies.
- Communicate effectively with principal investigator and laboratory personnel.
- Bachelor’s degree in Biology, Biochemistry, Molecular and Cell Biology or a related field.
- Familiarity with concepts, practices, safety protocols, and standard procedures in molecular biology laboratories.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively as part of a team.
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, time-management, and communication skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Word and Excel).
- Master’s degree in Biology, Biochemistry, Molecular and Cell Biology or a related field.
- Experience in mammalian cell culture.
This is a temporary position for an initial period of six months, with the possibility of extension dependent on grant funding. Hourly salary will be $15-$20 per hour depending upon level of experience.
Please submit CV/resume, cover letter, and contact information for three professional references to email@example.com. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.