Laboratory Technician 2, UCP 4
The Molecular and Cell Biology (MCB) Department at the University of Connecticut, Storrs is seeking to fill a full-time 12-month Laboratory Technician 2 (UCP 4) position beginning March 6, 2020. The successful candidate will provide technical support for high enrollment MCB laboratory courses on the Storrs campus. This position is part of the department’s Teaching Laboratory Services unit which supports the undergraduate laboratory courses. During the initial training period work hours will vary. Following the training period, the expected work hours during the academic semesters will be Monday and Wednesday from 8:30 am to 4:00 pm, Tuesday and Thursday from 11:00 am to 7:00 pm, and Friday from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm, which includes one hour for lunch. During Summer and Winter Breaks work hours will follow a standard Monday through Friday daytime schedule. The incumbent is expected to work flexible work hours depending on departmental course offerings which could include later evening hours.
Please apply online at https://hr.uconn.edu/jobs, Staff Positions, Search #494171 to upload a resume, cover letter, and contact information for three (3) professional references.
Employment of the successful candidate is contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check.
This job posting is scheduled to be removed at 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on February 15, 2020.
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics which may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp.
The University of Connecticut is committed to building and supporting a multicultural and diverse community of students, faculty, and staff. The diversity of students, faculty and staff continues to increase, as does the number of honors students, valedictorians, and salutatorians who consistently make UConn their top choice. More than 100 research centers and institutes serve the University’s teaching, research, diversity, and outreach missions, leading to UConn’s ranking as one of the nation’s top research universities. UConn’s faculty and staff are the critical links to fostering and expanding our vibrant, multicultural and diverse University community. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer, UConn encourages applications from women, veterans, people with disabilities and members of traditionally underrepresented populations.
Advertised: Dec.12, 2019 Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Feb. 15, 2020 Eastern Standard Time
Research Assistant I Position
The Cole lab in the Molecular and Cell Biology (MCB) Department at the University of Connecticut, Storrs is seeking a temporary Research Technician to participate in a PITCH – funded research project to characterize and develop small molecule activators of PKR as antiviral agents. The hours are negotiable.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Prepare reagents and media.
- Culture and maintain mammalian cell lines.
- Perform basic molecular biology manipulations.
- Carry out protein analysis on cell lysates using the Protein Simple Jess instrument.
- Express and purify proteins.
- Keep accurate and up-to-date laboratory notebooks.
- Participate in the general upkeep of the lab.
- Order supplies.
- Communicate effectively with principal investigator and laboratory personnel.
- Bachelor’s degree in Biology, Biochemistry, Molecular and Cell Biology or a related field.
- Familiarity with concepts, practices, safety protocols, and standard procedures in molecular biology laboratories.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively as part of a team.
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, time-management, and communication skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Word and Excel).
- Master’s degree in Biology, Biochemistry, Molecular and Cell Biology or a related field.
- Experience in mammalian cell culture.
This is a temporary position for an initial period of six months, with the possibility of extension dependent on grant funding. Hourly salary will be $15-$20 per hour depending upon level of experience.
Please submit CV/resume, cover letter, and contact information for three professional references to email@example.com. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.