University of Connecticut
Department of Molecular & Cell Biology
91 North Eagleville Road, Unit 3125
Biology/Physics Building 322/323
Storrs, CT 06269-3125
Telephone: (860) 486-0089
Fax: (860) 486-4331
Education: Ph.D. SUNY Stony Brook; Postdoctoral research, Cornell University.
Research Interests: The inter- and intra-cellular signaling events required for maintaining the structure and function of intestinal epithelium, with a focus on those events involved in regulating epithelial cell proliferation and death. Molecular mechanisms of transcription factor regulation by chemical and physical injury.
1. Giardina C, Wu CW. The identification of two antagonistic activities in a Xenopus oocyte extract that can modulate the in vitro transcription of RNA polymerase III genes. Journal of Biological Chemistry. 265(16): 9121-30, Jun 1990
2. Giardina C, Perez-Riba M, Lis JT. Promoter melting and TFIID complexes on Drosophila genes in vivo. Genes and Development. 6(11): 2190-200, Nov 1992
3. Giardina C, Lis JT. DNA melting on yeast RNA polymerase II promoters. Science. 261(5122): 759-62, Aug 1993
4. Giardina C, Lis JT. Polymerase processivity and termination on Drosophila heat shock genes. Journal of Biological Chemistry. 268(32): 23806-11, Nov 1993
5. Giardina C, Lis JT. Sodium salicylate and yeast heat shock gene transcription. Journal of Biological Chemistry. 270(18): 10369-72, May 1995
6. O Brien T, Wilkins RC, Giardina C, Lis JT. Distribution of GAGA protein on Drosophila genes in vivo. Genes and Development. 9(9): 1098-110, May 1995
7. Giardina C, Lis JT. Dynamic protein-DNA architecture of a yeast heat shock promoter. Molecular and Cellular Biology. 15(5): 2737-44, May 1995
8. Giardina C, Inan MS. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, short-chain fatty acids, and reactive oxygen metabolism in human colorectal cancer cells. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta. 1401(3): 277-88, Mar 1998
9. Giardina C, Boulares H, Inan MS. NSAIDs and butyrate sensitize a human colorectal cancer cell line to TNF-alpha and Fas ligation: the role of reactive oxygen species. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta. 1448(3): 425-38, Jan 1999
10. Boulares HA, Giardina C, Navarro CL, Khairallah EA, Cohen SD. Modulation of serum growth factor signal transduction in Hepa 1-6 cells by acetaminophen: an inhibition of c-myc expression, NF-kappaB activation, and Raf-1 kinase activity. Toxicological Sciences. 48(2): 264-74, Apr 1999 (*Toxicological Sciences paper of the year*)
11. Hubbard AK, Giardina C. Regulation of ICAM-1 expression in mouse macrophages. Inflammation Apr;24(2):115-25, 2000
12. Inan MS, Tolmacheva V*, Wang Q-S, Rosenberg DW, and Giardina C. The transcription factor NF-kappaB participates in the regulation of epithelial cell turnover in the colon. American Journal of Physiology Gastrointestinal and Liver Physiology. 279: G1282-G1291, 2000
13. Inan MS, Place R, Tolmacheva V*, Wang Q-S, Hubbard AK, Rosenberg DW, and Giardina C. IkappaB-beta related proteins in normal and transformed colonic epithelial cells. Molecular Carcinogenesis. 29: 25-36, 2000
14. Yin L, Hubbard AK, and Giardina C. NF-kappaB regulates transcription of the mouse telomerase catalytic subunit. Journal of Biological Chemistry. 275: 36671-5, 2000
15. Inan MS, Rasoulpour RJ*, Yin L, Hubbard AK, Rosenberg DW, Giardina C. The luminal short-chain fatty acid butyrate modulates NF-kappaB activity in a human colonic epithelial cell line. Gastroenterology. 118(4): 724-34, Apr 2000
16. Boulares AH, Giardina C, Inan MS, Khairallah EA, Cohen SD. Acetaminophen inhibits NF-kappaB activation by interfering with the oxidant signal in murine Hepa 1-6 cells. Toxicological Sciences. 55(2): 370-5, Jun 2000
17. Crowthers KC, Kline V, Giardina C, Lynes MA. Augmented humoral immune function in metallothionein-null mice. Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology. 166(3): 161-72, Aug 2000
18. Koulich E, Nguyen T, Johnson K, Giardina C, D Mello SR. NF-kappaB is involved in the survival of cerebellar granule neurons: association of IkappaB-beta phosphorylation with cell survival. Journal of Neurochemistry. 76: 1188-1198, 15 Feb 2001
19. Place RF, Haspeslagh D*, Hubbard AK, Giardina C. Cytokine-induced stabilization of newly synthesized IkappaB-alpha. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 2001 May 18;283(4):813-20
20. Hubbard AK, Thibodeau M, and Giardina C. Cellular and molecular mechanisms regulating silica-induced adhesion molecule expression in mice. Journal of Environmental Pathology, Toxicology and Oncology, 20: 45-51, 2001.
21. Guda K, Giardina C, Nambiar P, Cui H, Rosenberg DW. Aberrant transforming growth factor-beta signaling in azoxymethane-induced mouse colon tumors. Molecular Carcinogenesis, 31: 204-213, 2001.
22. Yin L, Laevsky G and Giardina C. Butyrate suppression of colonocyte NF-kappaB activation and cellular proteasome activity. Journal of Biological Chemistry, 276: 44641-6, 2001.
23. Giardina C and Hubbard AK. Growing old with NF-kappaB. Cell Stress & Chaperones, 7: 207-212, 2002.
24. Nambiar P, Giardina C, Guda K, Aizu W, Raja R and Rosenberg DW. Role of the alternating reading frame (p19)-p53 pathway in an in vivo murine colon tumor model. Cancer Research, 62: 3667-7, 2002.
25. Dong, M, Guda, K, Nambiar, P, Belinsky, G, Giardina C and Rosenberg DW. Alterations in COX-2 and cPLA2 expression in mouse colon tumors suggest multiple mechanisms for tumor promotion. Carcinogenesis, 24(2):307-15, 2003
26. Place RF, Haspeslagh D*, Giardina C. Cytokine-induced stabilization of newly synthesized IkappaB-alpha prevents sequential rounds of NF-kappaB activation. Journal of Cell Physiology 195(3):470-8, 2003.
27. BrownJD, StrbunceljM, Giardina C and O’NeillRJ. Interspecific hybridization induced amplification of Mdm2 on double minutes in a Mus hybrid. Cytogenetics & Genome Research 98(2-3):184-8, 2003.
28. Aizu W, Guda K, Nambiar P, Xin T, Rosenberg DW, and Giardina C, p53 and its co-activator p300 can be inversely regulated in response to DNA damage. Toxicology Letters 144: 213-224, 2003.
29. Thibodeau M, Giardina C. and Andrea K. Hubbard. Silica induced caspase activation in mouse alveolar macrophages is dependent upon mitochondrial activity and aspartic proteases. Toxicological Sciences 76: 91-101, 2003.
30. Thibodeau M, Giardina C, Helble J, Knecht D and Hubbard AK. Silica induced apoptosis in mouse alveolar macrophages is initiated by lysosomal activity. Toxicological Sciences 80: 34-48, 2004.
31. Dong M, Guda K, Nambiar P, Nakanishi M, Giardina C, Lichtler, and Rosenberg DW. Pref-1: a potential biomarker of colon cancer sensitivity that acts as a differentiation inhibitor. Carcinogenesis 25: 2239-2246, 2004
32. Xin T, Yin L and Giardina C. Butyrate suppresses Cox-2 activation in colon cancer cells through HDAC inhibition. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications 317: 463-71, 2004.
33. Xin T, Yin L, Washington R, Rosenberg DW and Giardina C. The p50-p50 NF-kappaB complex as a cytokine-specific repressor of gene activation. Molecular & Cellular Biochemistry 265: 171-183, 2004.
34. Dong M, Johnson M, Rezaie A, Ilsley JNM, Nakanishi M, Sanders MM, Forouhar F, Levine J, Montrose DC, Giardina C and Rosenberg DW. Cytosolic Phospholipase A2 levels correlate with apoptosis in human colon tumorigenesis. Clinical Cancer Research 11: 2265-71, 2005.
35. Xin T, Yin L, Joshi S, Rosenberg DW and Giardina C. Regulation of Cox-2 expression at transcriptional elongation. Journal of Biological Chemistry 280:15503-9, 2005.
36. Place RF and Giardina C. HDAC inhibitors suppress proteasome-mediated NF-kappaB activation in colon cancer cells. Biochemical Pharmacology 70: 394-406, 2005.
37. Place RF, Noonan EJ and Giardina C. HDACs and the senescent phenotype of WI-38 cells. BMC Cell Biol. 6: 37, 2005.
38. Aizu W, Belinsky GS, Flynn C, Noonan EJ, Boes CC, Godman CA, Doshi B, Nambiar PR, Rosenberg DW and Giardina C. Circumvention and reactivation of the p53 oncogene checkpoint in colon cancer cells. Biochemical Pharmacology 72: 981-991, 2006.
39. Noonan EJ, Place RF, Giardina C, Hightower LE and Rasoulpour RJ. Cell Number Dependent Regulation of Hsp70B’ expression: evidence of an extracellular regulator. Journal of Cellular Physiology, in press, 2006.
40. Belinsky G, Giardina C, Rajan TV and Rosenberg DW. Expression of secretory phospholipase A2 in colon tumor cells potentiates tumor growth. Molecular Carcinogenesis, in press, 2006.
41. Stevens RG, Swede, H, Jablonski M, Parente M, Tirnauer JS, Heinen CD, Giardina C, Rajan TV, Rosenberg DW, Levine J. Aberrant Crypt Foci in Persons with a Family History of Colorectal Cancer. Cancer Letters, in press, 2006.
Hubbard AK, Mowbray S, Thibodeau M. and Giardina C. “Silica-induced Inflammatory Mediators and Pulmonary Fibrosis” in Fibrogenesis: Cellular and Molecular Events, Ed. M. Razzaque, Kluwer Academic/ Plenum Publishers, 2005.